Saturday, October 03, 2009

Kevin Carter " The Death of a Signature"



Photography at funerals is somethings that's always intrigued me. In some instances, such as with my own family, funerals are often the last time some family members are ever together in a big group. I'd feel strange smiling for a photo at a funeral. It's almost like you're not "allowed" to smile because you're supposed to be sad.

My mom went to a funeral in New Mexico last week for one of her uncles. She saw so many cousins that she hadn't seen in, may I say, decades. It's great that family members will come out to celebrate the life of someone, but I feel that moments like that should be documented. My grandma's funeral was the first and only time I met one of my cousins. And I only met his brother six months ago. Mind you, they are in their 40s now..

The movie Harold and Maude really opened me up to more concepts about death. In the movie, the couple attend the funeral of strangers.

Over the summer, some friends and I went for a walk in a big cemetary. It was really bizarre, being in there and not for a funeral. Walking over graves, and being able to tell which ones were more fresh, and feeling the uneven earth beneath my feet. You even start to notice the types of flowers and little things family members and friends leave on the gravestones of their loved ones. One thing I distinctly remember is the amount of silk flowers. It seemed like a nice gesture because they will never wilt. But then I think of the other graves that have dead flowers that need to be replaced and it's kind of depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment