Wednesday, September 30, 2009

googled "art about suicide" this came up

http://www.well.com/~art/suicidenotes.html

Read at your own risk.

These suicide notes were gathered at the coroners' offices by a suicidologist/psychiatrist who asked to be anonymous. He edited identifying details out of the compiled manuscript, and we changed the names. But the text of each letter plus the age and sex given are real. All these people did kill themselves. Were they ambivalent about it? About half the hundred or so letters we saw seemed to have some element of doubt.

(There's a strange story in computer folklore about a suicide note that appeared late one night on the Arpanet computer network. The other people on the network had regularly corresponded with the mean, but always under the name of his lab not his own name. When the message saying he was killing himself flashed on the screen they tried to call the police, but nobody could identify him, and he died.) -- Art Kleiner



\

I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that these people's last words are being made available to the public. Isn't there some kind of confidentiality between patient and psychiatrist? I know I wouldn't want the world to read my final deep and emotional thoughts. And I wouldn't want my friends and family aired like that either. Even the fact that my friend Nate's death was an article in our local newspaper bothered me. "Silver Spring man killed by train".

oh, here it is

http://www.gazette.net/stories/021506/wheanew204210_31951.shtml

FYI: 16th street bridge is a five minute walk from my parents house and I cross over it every time I drive into DC. I've only been at the tracks once since then for a photoshoot.

I've done a lot of thinking lately about Nate's suicide and the suicides of two of my sister's classmates following the death of Nate. No less than one month apart. Both students were straight-A kids, and in the IB program. I recently asked a friend of my sister what the school did to help students cope with this. He told me that they singled out all the IB students and had them do some activities but I don't understand why only those students were addressed. The entire school community should have been addressed when Nate first offed himself. Nate was a high school dropout, but also a natural genius. He didn't need school. He went on and off drugs constantly, and I can vividly remember seeing him chug bottles of Robitussin on numerous occasions.


The scene at Nate's memorial service.

Afterward, everyone went to the tracks under the 16th street bridge to leave their mark/love

2 comments:

  1. http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/i-am-jiverly-wong-shooting-people.html#comments

    This was another suicide note that I found today. Pretty disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fascinating- though I agree with you about how these things are made public, I think it is human nature to be interested in it, for some strange reason, but that is possibly the same reason that made suicide so interesting to them.

    ReplyDelete